Last Song Syndrome: Heroes March from Aida
It was my brother's graduation this afternoon. Well, what can I say, but I was overwhelmed by the graduating populace of about 1,500 students all in one ceremony. It was so uber long and tedious, not to mention the political speech by Mayor Atienza, which was I should say well made impromptu. The other speech done by another official whom I could not discern if he's still sitting in the Supreme Court (some Justice Torres) whose inspired words are far too academic and legal at times, sana naman hindi siya nag-qu-quote ng mga tulad ni Justice Learned Hand ng US Supreme Court, knowing that the populace and the audience are more or less of the average person type. Not to mention he speaks in such a boring tone appropriate for his retiring age.
Then came the long awarding of diplomas ceremony which took more than four hours. I got so bored that I went out of PLM, took a padyak, and hung out at starbucks all by myself for 30 minutes. Boy, the caffeine did great, but consequently I knew it was also such an effective diuretic. Mind you, I'm not fond of portalet comfort rooms which are the only ones utilized for the event.
It's not that I'm complaining, but well, what can I do, my graduation from College in PICC was far off wonderful, freezing fun, although I was already wearing a long-sleeved shirt, a black jacket which in the Filipino parlance is called the Americana and on top of it the academic robes which after two years of Harry Potter proselytizing we've fondly called the Hogwarts uniform. The wash rooms of the Convention Center abound in almost every corner, although not as savvy as the used to be, it's still comfy. I even got annoyed by the usherettes whose mouths are louder than the audio system, speaking in almost vulgar-like tagalog. Walang finesse, unlike the Thomasian ushers and usherettes who are tactless students but know how to behave primly and properly during formal gala events.
I could see the stark contrast of student culture between my bro's school and mine. They don't do the "fist" when singing the University Hymn, they don't go out that much, rather, they don't go out at all. It al ways comes down to the issue that my brother always brings up, that my school is apparently an elitist. Excuse me, it just so happens that we love to party, and you don't. Why blame us if we spend our money extravagantly (once upon a time), and you don't. We don't sneer at the fact that you don't party or even argue over eating at fast food joints at the mall, and the rare occasions of expensive restaurants and bars, and coffee shops and you PLMers or whatever you are called shouldn't judge us as elitists, cause we are not. We just love to have fun. That's it. Even if it does not involve cash, we can still have fun. At any rate, one should not judge another school's culture on the basis of what does, or what does one have or what not. Anyways, this discussion is futile and meaningless. The humble Thomasian bows.
Putting aside the non-existent rivalry between the Royal University and the Premiere Government Funded University in Manila, I'm proud my brother was given the latin honor cum laude.
Around eleven pm, at last we had dinner at Gloria Maris in Malate, where I savored the oily and pasty taste of Peking Duck skin among the other Chinese goodies floating in saturated fat.
xxx xxx xxx
Carol arrived last night. I'm so happy she's back.
Then came the long awarding of diplomas ceremony which took more than four hours. I got so bored that I went out of PLM, took a padyak, and hung out at starbucks all by myself for 30 minutes. Boy, the caffeine did great, but consequently I knew it was also such an effective diuretic. Mind you, I'm not fond of portalet comfort rooms which are the only ones utilized for the event.
It's not that I'm complaining, but well, what can I do, my graduation from College in PICC was far off wonderful, freezing fun, although I was already wearing a long-sleeved shirt, a black jacket which in the Filipino parlance is called the Americana and on top of it the academic robes which after two years of Harry Potter proselytizing we've fondly called the Hogwarts uniform. The wash rooms of the Convention Center abound in almost every corner, although not as savvy as the used to be, it's still comfy. I even got annoyed by the usherettes whose mouths are louder than the audio system, speaking in almost vulgar-like tagalog. Walang finesse, unlike the Thomasian ushers and usherettes who are tactless students but know how to behave primly and properly during formal gala events.
I could see the stark contrast of student culture between my bro's school and mine. They don't do the "fist" when singing the University Hymn, they don't go out that much, rather, they don't go out at all. It al ways comes down to the issue that my brother always brings up, that my school is apparently an elitist. Excuse me, it just so happens that we love to party, and you don't. Why blame us if we spend our money extravagantly (once upon a time), and you don't. We don't sneer at the fact that you don't party or even argue over eating at fast food joints at the mall, and the rare occasions of expensive restaurants and bars, and coffee shops and you PLMers or whatever you are called shouldn't judge us as elitists, cause we are not. We just love to have fun. That's it. Even if it does not involve cash, we can still have fun. At any rate, one should not judge another school's culture on the basis of what does, or what does one have or what not. Anyways, this discussion is futile and meaningless. The humble Thomasian bows.
Putting aside the non-existent rivalry between the Royal University and the Premiere Government Funded University in Manila, I'm proud my brother was given the latin honor cum laude.
Around eleven pm, at last we had dinner at Gloria Maris in Malate, where I savored the oily and pasty taste of Peking Duck skin among the other Chinese goodies floating in saturated fat.
xxx xxx xxx
Carol arrived last night. I'm so happy she's back.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home